Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Babcock New Zealand is part of the Babcock International Group, a leading provider of critical engineering services which support national defence, save lives and protect communities. In New Zealand our team of over 300 talented people work closely with our customers and partners to understand them inside out, building deep relationships based on trust to solve complex challenges and deliver value. We do this through our people’s commitment to excellence and our adoption of technology.
Our people are critical to our ability to deliver our strategic goals, and our core values are health, safety, the environment, and being inclusive.
We are actively growing our team to deliver some exciting projects for the defence and commercial sectors in Aotearoa. Our team of over 120 tradespeople work on the Devonport Naval Base in partnership with our customer, the Royal New Zealand Navy. As the Navy’s strategic maritime partner we provide complete maintenance, repair and overhaul services to their entire Navy fleet. We also undertake ship conversions, life extensions, retrofits and major repairs, in both the dry-dock and in the water, for our customers.
- Hot Work & Fire Sentry
- Confined Space Sentry
- Working at Height Sentry
- Surface preparation for coatings application.
(Grinding, Sanding, Chipping or Abrasive Blasting)
- Coatings applications (Painting)
- Basic Grinding & Welding Skills
- Ability to operate basic Power & Hand Tools
- Certifying compartments are safe to enter prior to
commencing work (Gas Testing)
- Operate mobile plant such as Forklifts, Elevated Work
Platforms, Class 4 Truck with HIAB or Crane attachment
- Worksite Cleaning, (Workshop, Ship or Yard based)
- Tasks as directed by the Trades Person, Workshop Unit
leader, Line Manager or nominees.
- Assist other Babcock Maintenance teams during peak
- Work collaboratively with other departments of the
- Undertake Compliance and Planned training to ensure personal skill levels remain suitable and appropriate to carry out the role defined by Babcock NZ Ltd.
- Apply Basic Trade knowledge in a practical environment to ensure all work tasks are completed to meet requirements
- Must have physical strength, hand-eye coordination, and endurance.
- Must also be able to concentrate on their tasks. The ability to understand and communicate information is also essential.
- Some Technical knowledge is required to use some tools and machines.
- Ability to communicate in English
- 5+ years’ experience in a relevant Industrial Engineering discipline.
- Full NZ Driver’s License (Class 1 minimum)
- Good all-round technical knowledge
- Ability to carry out light fabrication work (Desirable)
- Basic trade knowledge
- Work well in a team environment
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Forklift license (Desirable)
- Confined Space Entry trained.
- Gas Testing trained
- EWP Trained.
To be successful in this role you should be capable of working to a high standard both on your own and in a team environment. Preferably trained in Confined Space and Elevated Work Platforms. Experience in a marine environment is also desirable.
Based at Devonport dockyard this role will work closely with a team of engineers, project managers and technical trades. This is a fantastic opportunity to develop your career in a very successful FTSE 100 company, with great prospects for future growth.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and capable of obtaining a New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance.