Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Systems Engineer - Communications Systems
Babcock is a diverse, multi-national business. We have been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services for over a century, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
With over 1000 staff in Australia and New Zealand, we are a critical service provider working in partnership with those who provide essential services, keep our communities safe and our nations secure.
We apply our specialist skills and knowledge to meet our clients’ operational requirements through engineering, asset management and support services that keep the country moving.
To provide you some context, here are a few things we do across air, land and sea:
- We’re in the air with emergency services, piloting and crewing air ambulances and search and rescue missions.
- We keep things moving on land, with integrated asset management and engineering services for vehicle fleets and infrastructure.
- We look after vessels as diverse as naval submarines and luxury yachts, with plenty in between, providing bow-to-stern sustainment and technical engineering support.
About this Role
To support our growth we are seeking a Systems Engineer to support a number of key functions within a multi-disciplinary team responsible for project solution design, delivery, acceptance and support for new and future business opportunities for our Australian Defence business.
This is a growth opportunity where you will be exposed to a wide range of challenges to build your knowledge and skills. Working under the direction of senior engineering staff, you will play an important role in significant business winning projects as part of our corporate development team.
In particular, this role provides a unique opportunity to participate in the strategic growth of the business working in collaboration with our UK strategic communications business unit for the planning, design, development and execution of strategic communications programs within Australia and New Zealand.
If you are adaptable and embrace new challenges, we want to hear from you. Recent experience on major defence programs such as AWD, JORN (or similar), will be advantageous. Familiarity with contemporary communications standards, architecture, integration and test will be highly regarded, as will knowledge of the operational context in which critical communications systems are employed.
Some of the key accountabilities for role:
- Interface design and definition, requirements development, verification planning and conduct, candidate solution development, trade studies and design artefact development, solution certification.
- Support to concept development and design of future business solutions.
- Working as part of an integrated project team in a matrix organisation structure.
- Application of systems engineering principles to support development of asset management solutions.
- Development and promotion of continual improvements in the Safety, Health and Environmental culture within Babcock Australia.
As the ideal candidate, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, or similar.
- At least 5 years' experience in a systems engineering related role in an acquisition program.
- Ability to read and interpret customer requirements in the development of design and solution artefacts.
- Strong communication skills and emotional intelligence, with an ability to describe technical solutions to non-technical staff whilst also interpreting non-technical requirements.
- Work collaboratively within the engineering team and cross-functionally with non-technical staff.
- Apply critical and innovative thinking with a natural curiosity to understand and exploit new and emerging technical developments.
- Good writing skills with demonstrated experience in producing engineering artefacts.
- Awareness of relevant regulatory frameworks and technical standards.
- Ability to obtain an NV-1 security clearance.
Your future at Babcock – what we offer you
What sets us apart at Babcock? Babcock offers a supportive and engaging environment where you can drive change and grow your career, we promote and foster training and development and the opportunity to be part of something BIG. Central to Babcock’s core values are health, safety and environment and diversity. If you’d like to be part of an exciting and engaged team, apply via the ‘Apply Now” button below.
To learn more about us visit www.babcock.com.au