Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
RNZN Vessel Care and Custody Manager
Babcock is a leading engineering support services organisation, with a rich history of service excellence and over 35,000 talented and committed people across six continents and worldwide revenues of over NZ $9.5 billion. In Australia and New Zealand, Babcock operates nationally, employing over 700 staff. Operating across defence, mining and construction, aviation, ports, cyber security and engineering consultancy, we support our customers technical, programme and complex platform requirements through our proven processes, systems and people. With the motto of ‘Home Safe Every Day’, we have an uncompromising commitment to health and safety.
In New Zealand, we have partnered with the Royal New Zealand Navy to provide complete maintenance, repair and overhaul services to their entire fleet. As the RNZN's Strategic Maritime Partner, we have newly established a team to provide Care and Custody of RNZN vessels when requested, reducing the burden on the RNZN manning and personnel in general. This is a fixed term opportunity to demonstrate the success of the Care and Custody model.
About the role?
The Care and Custody Manager reports to the Assistant Chief Engineer. You will be providing strategic management to the Care and Custody team comprised of an Engineer Officer, Logistics Manager, Maintenance Manager, and supported by Senior Engineers and Engineers.
In this role you will:
- Lead and oversee the RNZN Vessel Care and Custody team
- Effective management of roles and responsibilities among the team to drive accountability and success
- Ensure the Care and Custody arrangements of RNZN vessels are effectively managed with a strong focus on safety of personnel and safety of asset
- Maintain, operate and deliver the vessel to the RNZN at the required level of operational availability in accordance with the agreed NZDF deliverables
- Manage team outputs to budget and schedule supporting the identification of risks and supporting the development and governance of corrective action plans
We are looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working manager with the following:
- Experience in Defence, preferably ex-Naval Officer
- Relevant Bachelors' Degree or equivalent
- 10-15 years of leadership and management experience within the maritime industry
- Experience in liaising with an IACS organisation
- Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and capable of obtaining a New Zealand Defence Force Security Clearance.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be skilled in influencing a team to align with the same purpose and strategy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills - both written and oral
- Have sound organizational skills, be inquisitive and think laterally
This is a great opportunity to lead the success of the Care & Custody model for someone who is skilled in influencing, collaborating and developing the team. In return, we offer the opportunity to work in a great location, on challenging, rewarding projects with total support and commitment from a hands-on leadership team. Babcock’s dockyard facility is located within the RNZN Devonport Naval Base on Auckland’s North Shore. This picturesque location is ideally positioned for anyone who may wish to use the Devonport or Stanley Bay ferry.
Full-time, Fixed Term Contract
Job no: CCAG02171
Location: Auckland - NZ
Closing Date: Sunday, 23 August 2020