Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Machinist - Unit Lead
Babcock New Zealand is part of the Babcock International Group, a leading provider of critical engineering services which support national defence, save lives and protect communities. In New Zealand our team of over 300 talented people work closely with our customers and partners to understand them inside out, building deep relationships based on trust to solve complex challenges and deliver value. We do this through our people’s commitment to excellence and our adoption of technology.
Our people are critical to our ability to deliver our strategic goals, and our core values are health, safety, the environment, and being inclusive.
We are actively growing our team to deliver some exciting projects for the defence and commercial sectors in Aotearoa. Our team of over 120 tradespeople work on the Devonport Naval Base in partnership with our customer, the Royal New Zealand Navy. As the Navy’s strategic maritime partner we provide complete maintenance, repair and overhaul services to their entire Navy fleet. We also undertake ship conversions, life extensions, retrofits and major repairs, in both the dry-dock and in the water, for our customers.
About the Role
In this role you will be leading a small team of Fitter Turners that executes a range of activities associated with ship and shore based Maintenance, Repair, Overhaul and Installation activities. For various Royal New Zealand Navy and Commercial Ship.
Key responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Plan, organize and co-ordinate all activities of the designated work area, ensuring that work is completed safely, promptly, and within the nominated budgetary allocations, while at all times working to the required quality specifications and within company policies and procedures.
- Work Order variations are raised in a timely manner
- Oversee the repair quality to warrant all work carried out, as required, conforms to agreed Engineering Standards or Classification requirements.
- Develop estimates and provide recommendations relating to modifications, alterations and proposed maintenance.
- Determine appropriate repair methods and ensure adherence to standards.
- Ensure work order reports are completed, including wherever possible the provision of supportive quality evidence such as photos.
- Assist with Investigations where requested, to determine cause and recommend remedial actions.
- Ensure that relevant NZDF orders are adhered to and implemented.
- Implement workshop process and procedure improvements or changes to maintenance routines, applying a philosophy of continuous improvement.
- Performance problems will be addressed directly with the staff member concerned or escalated as appropriate.
- Assist with employee assessments.
- Ensure compliance training is undertaken for all staff.
- Comply with all requirements of the company Safety, Health & Environmental (SHE) manual, company or local procedures and any company initiatives to improve Safety.
Preferably with experience in the marine or high hazard environment you will be able to demonstrate some of the following types of skillsets and experience:
- Trade Certificate (Level 4) in an relevant engineering discipline
- Full NZ Driver’s License (Class 1 minimum)
- A wide range of machining and engineering skills
- Great leadership skills and knowledge
- Excellent problem solving skills to diagnose situations and come up with creative answers
- Ability to make decisions quickly and confidently in emergencies
- Excellent communication and customer relation skills
- Ability to work under pressure in a complex environment while maintaining composure and task focus
Advanced Trade Certificate and certification in Fork Hoist Operation, First Aid, Slinging and Overhead Crane Operation would be desirable.
What’s in it for you:
In return, we offer the opportunity to work in a great location, with total support and commitment from a hands-on management team. Drawing on the substantial experience of Babcock International, this is a career defining opportunity for someone who can drive change and influence people.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and capable of obtaining a New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance.
Please note that we shut down over the Christmas / New Year period and will return after the 11th January.