Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Engineering Drafting Cadetship
Babcock International Group, the marine and defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services for over a century.
In New Zealand and across Australia, Babcock employs over 1000 talented people. Operating across sectors such as defence, commercial, marine, aviation, airports, communications, emergency services and engineering consultancy, we support our customers’ technical, programme and complex platform requirements through our proven processes, systems and people. In many ways, we are the brand behind the brand. You may not always see our logo, but we are behind the scenes using specialist skills and knowledge to facilitate our client’s operational requirements.
A global solution being delivered locally. www.babcock.nz
Babcock NZ has a huge focus on developing young talent in NZ. Our earlier careers programme so far includes – 15 graduates, 24 apprentices, 24 summer interns and now two drafting cadets.
About the role
As a part of your cadetship we will give you through on the job training, sector experience as well as supporting you to obtaining a market relevant qualification.
You will provide design services within the Design Team. To deliver engineering outputs in a timely manner in accordance with client requirements and agreed specification with support from a more experienced member of the team;
- To deliver Engineering investigations and drawing packs
- Output concept designs, feasibility reports and work specifications
A Drafting Cadet within the Design Team is to deliver technical outputs to support ECPs, these are to be delivered in a timely and efficient manner under the direction of a design lead and with the support of a more experienced member of the team.
It is important that the Drafting Cadet develops good relationships throughout the yard, including within the PSI and customer organisations.
Conducting steps of the ECP process may also be required in order to deliver ECPs to schedule and quality, this again will be supported by a more experienced member of the team.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Prepare design proposals including the production of detailed design drawings and feasibility studies
- Implement the company's Quality Assurance objectives in all aspects of the Technical Services activities
- Maintain relationships to ensure companywide achievement of objectives and targets
- Comply with all HSE policy, processes and procedures applicable to operations as well as statutory HSE legislation, regulations and codes of best practice
This role requires someone who has the drive and desire to work in the engineering field. We want to develop your current skills and give you new ones to help you secure a career in engineering design.
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) will be helpful
- Customer focus, cultivating a culture of mutual respect, collaboration and cooperation
- Comprehensive communication skills, written and oral
- Proactive approach to problem solving, and the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Flexible and innovative
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Good documentation and record keeping
- Ability to deliver in stressful environment
- You will be a confident communicator and team player with an ability to prioritise, plan and organise your workload with a strong attention to detail
- Relationship management and influencing skills
- Knowledge of current and impending health, safety and environmental legislation and regulations
- Applicants must legally be entitled to work in New Zealand
- Tech Savvy – enjoy working with new technology to manage work orders and tasks
What’s in it for you:
- Be paid to learn
- Learn from a highly skilled international team
- Support our defence force
- Work in a globally recognised company – gain internationally recognised experience
- Tight nit team
- Experience that can’t be gained anywhere else
- Professional development
- Lifelong organisation
This is a hugely rewarding role as you will have the support, resources and encouragement to contribute your ideas. Furthermore, we are based within the Royal NZ Navy’s Devonport Naval Base; arguably we boast the best view in the city! Add that to employee share schemes, flexible working hours, a fascinating naval marine environment and you’ve got the recipe for a lot of exciting work. This is significant contract for Babcock and also the New Zealand Defence Force - will be something great to add to the CV.
Babcock offers a supportive and engaging environment, Central to Babcock’s core values are those of health, safety and environment and diversity so if you would like to be part of an exciting and engaged team, then please register your interest via the ‘Apply Now' button below.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and capable of obtaining a New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance.
On behalf of Babcock NZ, we wish you all the best in the coming weeks. Please look after each other and kia kaha.
Due to the current circumstance that New Zealand finds itself in, this means two things:
Please be mindful that there will be a delay in our recruitment process as well as the on boarding new team members.
There will also be a delayed response to any open advertisements
We offer our sincerest apologies, however we will work diligently to keep things running as smoothly as possible.
If you have any urgent enquiries in the interim please do not hesitate to reach out to our team at CareersNZ@babcockinternational.com
Job no: BZBG02157
Location: Auckland - NZ
Closing Date: Sunday, 14 June 2020