Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Electronic Design Engineer
Babcock New Zealand is part of the Babcock International Group, a leading provider of critical engineering services which support national defence, save lives and protect communities. In New Zealand our team of over 300 talented people work closely with our customers and partners to understand them inside out, building deep relationships based on trust to solve complex challenges and deliver value. We do this through our people’s commitment to excellence and our adoption of technology. Our people are critical to our ability to deliver our strategic goals, and our core values are health, safety, the environment, and being inclusive.
About the Centre of Engineering
Our Centre of Engineering partners with the Royal New Zealand Navy to provide complete engineering, maintenance, repair and overhaul services to the entire fleet. As the Navy’s strategic maritime partner, we also undertake ship conversions, life extensions, retrofits and major repairs in dry-dock or in water for our customers. Located on the Devonport Naval Base, this is a great opportunity to work in partnership with our customer and see the results of your hard work first-hand. We are currently in an exciting phase of growth to deliver a portfolio of programmes in both defence and commercial sectors for Aotearoa.
This role reports to the Design Engineer Team Lead.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Leading Engineering Change Proposals (ECP) up to a complexity level 2 (out of 4), and supporting delivery of higher priority or complexity ECP’s to the schedule and quality requirements of their Lead and our customer, the Royal New Zealand Navy.
- Technical investigations, liaising with subject matter experts across the organisation to provide analysis, recommendations and advice which could turn into new Engineering Change Proposals.
- Producing detailed design and production drawings, technical documentation and high quality engineering reports.
- Sharing knowledge and supporting less experienced Design Engineers within the team.
This role is ideally suited to someone with broad experience in electronic design engineering. To be capable of delivering level 2 complexity ECPs, you’ll need approximately 4 years’ experience integrating systems into existing platforms (not necessarily ships).
To be successful in this role, you will need the following skills and experience:
- Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Experience in a multidisciplinary Design Office
- Proficient in CAD software packages including 2D/3D modelling
- Experience in the use of design standards and quality systems
Additionally, experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Knowledge of regulatory frameworks and Class Societies applicable to commercial marine vessels including New Zealand and Navy fleets
- Experience in ship surveying and auxiliary systems design
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to work well with a range of different people and have a proactive and flexible approach. We work in close partnership with our key customer the Navy, so this is a great opportunity to really understand the problems you are working to solve, and see your solutions first-hand.
Your future at Babcock – what we offer you
- Drawing on the substantial experience of Babcock International, this is a career defining opportunity for someone who can drive change and influence people.
- We offer flexible working and a fascinating naval marine environment to work within, as part of the team who works in partnership with the Navy.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and be able to satisfy medical, safety and security checks in order to obtain a New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance