Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Electrical Technician (Fixed Term)
Fixed Term to January 2021
Babcock International Group is a leading provider of critical engineering services which support national defence, save lives and protect communities. In New Zealand our team of over 300 talented people work closely with our customers and partners to solve complex challenges and deliver value. We do this through our people’s commitment to excellence and the adoption of technology. Our people are critical to our ability to deliver this, and our values ensure we are protecting the environment, welcoming diversity, and sending our people home safe every day.
We are actively growing our team to deliver some exciting projects for the defence and commercial sectors in Aotearoa. Our team of over 120 tradespeople work on the Devonport Naval Base alongside our customer, the Royal New Zealand Navy. We provide complete maintenance, repair and overhaul services to their entire fleet. We also undertake ship conversions, life extensions, retrofits and major repairs in dry-dock or in water for our customers.
About the Role
This role is fixed term to January 2021 due to a secondment promotion within the team. With hands on experience and more importantly a passion for electrical and electronic systems, you will be working within a team of experts that support the installation, maintenance, and repairs for various industrial and marine systems and equipment such as generating and power distribution equipment, propulsion systems, engine control systems, motor control, and general electrical plant.
- Carry out installation and repair activity on a wide range of electrical equipment
- Prepare and maintain accurate test and maintenance records for the Babcock database and customers reports
- Assist in planning electrical workload and contribute to continuous improvement opportunities
- Follow company's Quality Assurance objectives, ISO9001 systems and processes
- Promote Health, Safety and Environmental Awareness in the workplace
- National Certificate of Engineering (Level 4) in Electronics or equivalent e.g. ETC, NZCE (elect)
- Electrical Practicing Licence (full registration)
- Proficient in the use of Diagnostic Tools and Test Equipment
- Competence and experience in a broad spectrum of electrical disciplines from generating plant to distribution systems and end user systems
- A real passion for practical, hands on electronics working to precise tolerances in a testing laboratory environment with a high standard of accuracy in reporting
In addition, knowledge of installation and testing of fibre optic systems would be beneficial but not essential, as training will be provided.
What’s in it for you?
This is a hugely rewarding role as you will have the support, resources and on the job training to help you to become proficient in this specialist field. This is a fascinating naval marine environment to work within, as a part of the Navy extended team. We are located at the Royal NZ Navy’s Devonport Base; with arguably the best view in the city! As a fixed term role, this is a great opportunity to grow your network and gain experience with our team on site.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and capable of obtaining a New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance.
Fixed Term Contract
Job no: GOAK02381
Location: Auckland - NZ
Closing Date: Sunday, 4 October 2020