Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Commercial / Industrial Painter
Babcock NZ is an engineering service provider, which is trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services.
In New Zealand and Australia, Babcock employs over 1,000 talented people. Operating across sectors such as defence, marine, aviation, communications, emergency services and engineering consultancy, we support our customers with technical, programme and complex platform requirements through our proven processes, systems and people.
Babcock New Zealand is in an exciting phase of growth and supports a portfolio of programmes in both defence and commercial sectors for Aotearoa.
In many ways, we are the brand behind the brand. You may not always see our logo, but we are behind the scenes using specialist skills and knowledge to facilitate our client’s operational requirements.
About the role:
You will be joining a team of highly skilled painters that deliver work the NZ Navy fleet and to commercial clients. The general task so of a painter will be as per below:
- Determine methods, techniques, devices and materials that are best suited to the surface finish required.
- Use tools and equipment of the trade to build, shape up and level surfaces
- Use tools and equipment such as abrasive/water blasting, scrapers, sandpaper, wire brushes and needle guns to prepare surface for coating.
- Prepare coating materials by tinting, toning, matching, blending and mixing in various additives such as catalysts, drying agents, and retardants.
- Prepare metals by treating them with chemical solvents
- Ensure that the coating finish meets match, texture, decorative, thickness, and level requirements.
What are we looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working candidate who has experience and demonstrates competency in the application of industrial coatings to a high quality standard, including paint, varnish, enamel, acrylic, lacquer and epoxy resin.
It is imperative that you understand a wide range of paint types, coating descriptions and specifications while also possessing the following:
- 5 years previous experience in a marine or heavy industrial environment
- Trained and capable of working at height and in confined spaces
- Trained and capable of operating a Gantry Crane, Fork Hoist and Elevated Work Platforms.
- Knowledge of the safe use of coatings application processes, as well as safe use of equipment and the handling of hazardous substances
- Trade Certificate in Industrial Coatings
- Advanced Trade Certificate in Industrial Coatings (desirable)
- Coatings Inspection qualifications (desirable)
- Signwriting trade certificate (desirable)
What’s in it for you?
This is a hugely rewarding role as you will have the support, resources and encouragement to bring your ideas to work. We are based at the Royal NZ Navy’s Devonport Base; arguably we boast the best view in the city! Benefits include car parking, employee share schemes, flexible working hours and a fascinating naval marine environment to work within, and as a part of the Navy extended team.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and capable of obtaining a New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance