Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Combat Systems Engineer
About the Centre of Engineering – Design Team
At Babcock our Centre of Engineering serve as the Design Authority for the Maritime Engineering Support Team (MEST) serving the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN). As the Navy’s strategic maritime partner, we provide complete engineering, maintenance, repair and overhaul services to the entire fleet. We also undertake ship conversions, life extensions, retrofits and major repairs in dry-dock or in water for our customers. We are currently in an exciting phase of growth to deliver a portfolio of programmes in both defence and commercial sectors for Aotearoa.
The Design team (within the Centre of Engineering) delivers engineering change projects to the RNZN Fleet. These projects vary in size, complexity and type, you could be working on anything from replacing a piece of obsolete equipment to designing a world’s first modification which provides a ship with new capability.
About the Role
This role reports to the Design Team Lead as an in-house expert in the Navy’s weapon, communication, sensor and combat systems.
- Ensuring that engineering designs deliver the required capability and comply with RNZN standards
- Leading complex engineering change projects (ECP) and investigations
- Producing high quality engineering reports, detailed designs, and production drawings
- Proactively supporting less experienced engineers to assist in their development
We are looking for experienced engineers, preferably within a marine or defence engineering environment. Ideally you will have worked in a multi-disciplinary Design Office. You will need to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Engineering degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- Experience designing and/or making modifications to a range of complex electrical and communication systems
- Experience in the use of design standards and quality systems (desirable for vessel classification & statutory regulations)
- Possess, or be capable of attaining, a Secret Vetting security clearance
In addition, experience using CAD design packages would be beneficial but training can be provided for the right candidate.
What we offer:
- Drawing on the substantial experience of Babcock International, this is a career defining opportunity for someone who can drive change and influence people.
- We offer flexible working and a fascinating Naval marine environment to work within, as part of the team who works in partnership with the Navy.
- Located on the Devonport Naval Base, you’ll be on site with our customer and can see the results of your hard work first-hand.
Babcock New Zealand is part of the Babcock International Group, a leading provider of critical engineering services which support national defence, save lives and protect communities. In New Zealand our team of over 300 talented people work closely with our customers and partners to understand them inside out, building deep relationships based on trust to solve complex challenges and deliver value. We do this through our people’s commitment to excellence and our adoption of technology. Our people are critical to our ability to deliver our strategic goals, and our core values are health, safety, the environment, and being inclusive.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand and be able to satisfy medical, safety and security checks in order to obtain the required level of New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance. You will need to be able to obtain 'Secret Vetting' security clearance for this role.