Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Shipwright / Carpenter / Boatbuilder
Babcock New Zealand is part of the Babcock International Group, a leading provider of critical engineering services which support national defence, save lives and protect communities. In New Zealand our team of over 300 talented people work closely with our customers and partners to understand them inside out, building deep relationships based on trust to solve complex challenges and deliver value. We do this through our people’s commitment to excellence and our adoption of technology.
Our people are critical to our ability to deliver our strategic goals, and our core values are health, safety, the environment, and being inclusive
About the role:
We are actively growing our team to deliver some exciting projects for the defence and commercial sectors in Aotearoa. Our team of over 120 tradespeople work on the Devonport Naval Base in partnership with our customer, the Royal New Zealand Navy. As the Navy’s strategic maritime partner we provide complete maintenance, repair and overhaul services to their entire Navy fleet. We also undertake ship conversions, life extensions, retrofits and major repairs, in both the dry-dock and in the water, for our customers.
Nothing is more important to Babcock than the safety of its people, customers and the community in which we work. With the motto of ‘Home Safe Every Day’, we have an uncompromising commitment to health and safety.
Below are a range of the exceptions we have for the role:
- Build keel blocking, cradles, shoring, cribbing, and other structures to support ships within the Babcock NZ Dry Dock or Slipways
- Repair, Manufacture and install Furniture, Cabinetry, Bulkheads & Deck Head structures windows and doors in commercial and marine structures
- Laying, replacing and repairing of floor coverings such as carpet, linoleum, vinyl and wooden flooring
- Carry out Lagging or Insulation installs, repairs or removals
- Carry out General Carpentry requirements including Maintenance of Babcock leased buildings
- Assist the Dock Master as required, to enable him to meet the needs of setting the dock blocks and handling working lines for docking, undocking and wharf berthage
- Undertake surveys and assist with estimate development and recommendations relating to modifications, alterations and proposed maintenance
- Manage new and emergent work in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Determine appropriate repair methods by ensuring adherence to applicable maintenance standards
- Make recommendations for workshop process and procedure improvements or changes to maintenance routines
- Ability to use IT hardware to complete work order reports and update maintenance management systems
- Assist other Babcock Maintenance teams during peak load periods
- Work collaboratively with other departments of the Business
- Undertake Compliance and Planned training to ensure personal skill levels remain suitable and appropriate to carry out the role defined by Babcock NZ Ltd.
We are looking for experienced Shipwrights to
work on RNZN and Commercial vessels that have the below skills and experience:
- Offer a wide variety of Shipwright, Boatbuilding & Carpentry skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to make decisions quickly and confidently in emergencies
- Excellent communication and customer relation skills
- Ability to work under pressure in a complex environment while maintaining composure and task focus
- Ability to read & interpret working drawings and structural plans.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in an Industrial or Shipwright, Carpentry or Boatbuilding based trade
- Trade Certificate (Level 4) in a relevant Boatbuilding, Woodworking, Cabinetmaking or Construction discipline.
- Full NZ Driver’s License (Class 1 minimum)
- Advanced Trade Certificate (Level 5) (Desired)
What’s in it for you?
This is an interesting and varied role as you will have the ability to work on everything from a bunkering barge, warship to superyachts. We are based at the Royal NZ Navy’s Devonport Base; arguably, we boast the best view in the city! This is a fascinating naval marine environment to work within, as a part of a driven team.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work
in New Zealand and be able to satisfy medical, safety and security checks in
order to obtain a New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Security Clearance