Senior Commercial Manager
Babcock is a leading engineering support services organisation, with a rich history of service excellence. We employ over 35,000 talented and committed people across six continents and worldwide revenues of over AU$9.5 billion. In Australia and New Zealand, Babcock operates nationally, employing over 700 staff. Operating across defence, mining and construction, aviation, ports, cyber security and engineering consultancy, we support our customers technical, programme and complex platform requirements through our proven processes, systems and people.
With a proven track record in delivering global solutions locally, our state of the art offices in the CBD have proudly established Adelaide as the Australasian headquarters of Babcock International Group and affirms our commitment to dynamic organisational growth and the nurturing of a strong local workforce capability in both defence and non-defence sectors. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Commercial Manager to support the commercial strategy and continued growth of our Babcock Australasia Marine business unit.
About the Role
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Senior Commercial Manager will be responsible for the management of all commercial activities related to the operations, strategy and growth of the business across Australia and New Zealand. Typical duties will include:
- Strategic leadership of all contract and commercial matters throughout the project lifecycle to ensure commercial governance is adhered to
- Provide commercial leadership in multi-disciplined teams in support of major bid and tender activities
- Undertake advanced level negotiations with suppliers, industry partners, operational agencies and third parties
- Apply risk management methodologies to analyse and manage risk for a variety of contract types
- Provide subject matter expertise in contract management practices including commercial policies and procedures, project management, claims management, reporting and dispute resolution
- Drive continuous improvement in the optimisation of the commercial framework to ensure both its relevance and integrity to the business
- Ensure all local, sector and Babcock International Group commercial and reporting requirements are satisfied in a timely manner
Coupled with your tertiary education and previous senior commercial management experience, you will demonstrate a pro-active approach with the commercial acumen to understand a complex business, identify and resolve commercial issues and negotiate successful outcomes in a timely manner. You will also possess the following skills and attributes:
- An in depth understanding of contract law and the commercial requirements for negotiating and operating contractual arrangements within a defence or engineering environment
- The ability to self- manage priorities and deadlines with excellent planning and project management skills
- Independence of thought to critically evaluate and challenge the status quo safely and without risk
- The confidence, courage and decisiveness to apply sound analytical judgement to all business decisions
- Proven stakeholder management skills with the ability to communicate, engage, negotiate and influence effectively at all levels
Equally important as the skills, attributes and experience outlined above, our ideal candidate will be the consummate collaborative leader who is always willing to go above and beyond in quality of output, service delivery, and the empowerment of others to achieve the strategic goals that will further enhance Babcock’s market leading reputation as a business partner that can be trusted to deliver.